Thursday 16 May 2013

A film that really moved me, by Destiny


 
I want to talk about a film that I've watched with my best friend, F.



Based on the novel Geisha written by Arthur Golden, Memoirs of a Geisha is a story which takes place In 1929, where an impoverished nine-year-old from a fishing vilkage, named Chiyo,
 
 
 
 
          is sold to a geisha house in Kyoto's Gion district and subjected to cruel treatment from the owners and the head geisha Hatsumomo.
Her stunning beauty attracts the vindictive jealousy of Hatsumomo, until she is rescued by and taken under the wing of Hatsumomo's bitter rival, Mameha.
 Under Mameha's mentorship, Chiyo becomes the geisha named Sayuri, trained in all the artistic and social skills a geisha must master in order to survive in her society.
As a renowned geisha she enters a society of wealth, privilege, and political intrigue.
As World War II looms Japan and the geisha's world are forever changed by the onslaught of history.



But you will certainly ask me “what is a Geisha?”
I will answer that a Geisha is not a male prostitute like all people thought. 
 Geishas are traditional Japanese female entertainers who act as hostesses and whose skills include performing various Japanese arts such as classical music, dance and games.
 
Geisha like all Japanese nouns, has no distinct singular or plural variants.
The word consists of two kanji: gei  meaning "art" and sha meaning "person" or "doer".
The most literal translation of geisha into English would be "artist," "performing artist," or "artisan."
Another name for geisha is geiko, which is usually used to refer to geisha from western Japan, which includes Kyoto.
So, what really moved me? The story of this little girl! Nothing could tell her that she would become a Geisha, but becoming Geisha had disadvantages: a Geisha can't love someone... that's why I was moved by this film because Chiyo wants to be a Geisha for being  near her lover all the time.
I'm sorry, I will not tell you the end... but I just say that that it's a happy ending for Chiyo ;)
 
 


7 comments:

  1. I'll try to Watch this: it seems interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this movie but I've never watched it. It's on my " to watch " list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it seems like a good film!
    I'll try to watch it too!
    SweetLisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to watch it , it looks very interesting !

    Rider.

    ReplyDelete
  5. more than 2h, I watch it a lot!!!! I think you will not be disappointed ;)
    -DESTINY-

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems like a good film , its interesting

    BlackMAN

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never watch this movie, but it looks interesting

    ReplyDelete