Monday 15 April 2013

Jade, on The Hunger Games! (she's ready for next year!)


When I think about a book that really moved me I immediately think about The Hunger Games. Everybody knows it: I'm a huge fan of that story !

 

The story takes place in Panem, a country composed of 12 districts and a managing state, the Capitol. Before, there were 13 districts but they rebelled and the thirteenth was destroyed by the Capitol. Because of this revolt appeared the Hunger Games which are a punishment to districts to have revolted. The aim of the Hunger Games is simple, it's a television show where 24 candidates (called tributes) between 12 and 18 years old are taken in an arena where they fight to death until there is only one contestant left. They take one girl and one boy of each districts to compete. All districts are forced to watch the games but the Capitol's inhabitants do it with pleasure, they think it's an entertaining show and not a broadcast murder. They consider the games as if it was a sports event such as the Olympic Games.
 

"In penance for their uprising, each district shall offer up a male and a female between 12 and 18 at a public reaping. These tributes shall be delivered to the custody of the Capitol. And then transferred to a public arena, where they will fight to the death until a lone victor remains. Henceforth and forevermore this pageant shall be known as the Hunger Games." Extract of the Treaty of Treason signed after the destruction of the thirteenth district.

The main character is Katniss Everdeen, a 16-year-old girl, who is going to compete in the Hunger Games. Indeed, she takes the place of her sister, Primrose, whose name has been drawn lots. The boy of the district 12 is Peeta Mellark. Katniss knows him because he had thrown her some bread one day when she and her family was starving.

 

The Hunger Games is the first book of a trilogy written by Suzanne Collins:

-The Hunger Games

-Catching Fire

-Mockingjay

 

I really loved those books because of the originality to imagine teenagers fighting each other to death to amuse and entertain a public. Indeed, we can wonder if reality TV shows can become fights to death like the Hunger Games.

 

 

 

16 comments:

  1. I also loved the books, when I started reading the first, I couldn't stop myself until I've read all of them !
    On the other hand, I was disappointed by the movie, I didn't like it ..

    And you know, I almost wouldn't be surprised by the appearance of a TV show like this .. Maybe not now but in the future, who knows ? :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nomika: you're going to love studying that theme next year!!! And you won't be surprised!^^

      Delete
    2. Yes I think it will be nice :)

      Delete
  2. I didn't know anything about the Hunger game before Mrs P showed us the film . Now I want to know what is coming next !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Hunger Games!! But you already know it...
    May the odds be ever in you favor!!

    Folt

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched Hunger Games ! This film is just wonderful, I love it !

    Rider.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I discovered this movie thanks to the class with Mrs.P, and it's awesome.

    Holysnail

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the first book and I enjoyed it, we can easily read it it's well written !

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right, everybody knows it ! I love it too.
    ~Amazilena~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi ! I'm "Amazilena"'s neighbours ! She told me to come.
    It's fun that i found an article about my favourite book here.... Great !
    (Ilona)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Am I the only who never watched or read the Hunger Games?
    Is it a secret sect?
    Imnotyou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you're not the only one! I did not read or watch the Hunger Games too :)
      -Agies german exchange partner

      Delete
  10. I believe as I liked so much this movie, I go me plunged into the book!:D

    Rider.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just have read the first, " hunger games ", and seen the film. I love both, but I prefer the book. I cried on the film, too. It's so sad and so affecting when Katniss said " I VOLUNTEER " to save her sister..

    Tsitsa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everyone talking about! Should I look at when I have the time, the story seems exciting!

    K-ZA.

    ReplyDelete