Sunday 22 November 2015

Unicorn's viking dream...



Hey it's the unicorn on the blog !

So, where would I like to go if I could travel in time?
           
My first reaction was « THE VIKINGS TIME, YAAY ». 

Because a Viking, it's cool (and not only because they invented mead).

I will tell you a little more about them (but before the arrival of the Christians who changed a lot of things in the traditions.)

          When you say « Viking » you imagine a big brute with a big hammer. 
[Yes, indeed!  Mrs P.] 

But this vision was spread by the Christians, because the Vikings were heathen. (So they had to be necessarily some bad-not-beautiful).

In reality, these northern people were great browsers, traders and explorers.
         
          My choice is spontaneous, but thoughtful: even if it's a patriarchal society, being a woman wasn't a chore.

She was respected in the same way as a man, she could choose who to marry... or not. 

She could also be a leaner, meaning doctors, even chieftain. 

When men left the village for several months,  the women had to take care of the farm and crops, with the help of the slaves.

The way of thinking of this population also encourages me in this choice.

 They believed in any gods (Like Thor to take a familiar example), but they favored their strength and their ability.

          The human dignity is very present, even the slave benefited from it (you could't maltreat them), and it's easy to feed.

The Vikings had a charity system for people who can't work, so the old and the sick had the help of the community.

          There are still a few things that I don't like, like the totally intolerance to homosexuality (accusing someone was equivalent to commiting murder!). 

There is also that, if a housewife (married woman) thing that the dignity of his family was touched, she can order a murder without being worried (but exposing to retaliation…).

          It must be remembered that only a few clans were bloodthirsty, the other preferring to sell their wares.

          So to finish I would like to say that, despite of many things, I'm happy to live in the 21th century in France, because we are really lucky, we don't know war, we have enough to eat, and if some doubt about technology, I'm personally happy to see the progress.

(and we can still drink mead in horns \0/)
                     

                    

41 comments:

  1. Waah I've just learned many things in 2 minutes ovo That seems quite great though ! But I guess we're fine in the 21th century x)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to teach you something :p

      Unicorn

      Delete
  2. The Vikings have always scared me I do not know why...

    PHI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you were traumatized by a beared :o

      Unicorn

      Delete
  3. That's really interesting ! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always like Vikings, sooo I can just love your choice and be agree with you. And I want to say something : Vikings never worn hemelts with horns and they first discovered America before Christophe Colomb. (and Ragnar Lodbrok really existed !)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I didn't know about the helmets :o It would have been ridiculous anyway ...

      Unicorn

      Delete
  5. Woaw I learnt so many things !
    Finally one "good" period for women yay
    Your article is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, but i'ts still better today x)
      Thank you :p

      Unicorn

      Delete
  6. I confess .. The first image I had of a Viking is a big man with a big hammer and a big red beard ... ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be a pirate too ^.^

      Unicorn

      Delete
  7. "we don't know war"
    did you write before the 13rd November or do you believe that we're not in a war?
    By the way I like your article and I discovered more about the viking because yesssss When I say « Viking » I imagine a big brute with a big hammer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I write it before the 13rd Novemeber ...

      Unicorn

      Delete
    2. I don't know it, but it seem great ! (I looooove heroic fantasy ^.^)

      Unicorn

      Delete
  8. It makes me think about that great comic ma dad reads "Thorgal". Do you know it? It's mostly heroic fantasy but there's a bit of sci-fi in it. I love it. And it's about Vikings! You should totally read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you I discoreved a lot of thing about Vikings too ! especialy a didn't know that woman weren't consider like objet at this period , me too Imagine big brute very violent maybe cause of the serie TV "Vikings" !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to disagree: the TV series shows that they were not just violent brutes and you can see the strengh of women like the shield woman Lagertha, who becomes the Earl of her own village....

      Delete
    2. I confess that I haven't started to watch "Vikings" ... No spoiler please T.T

      Unicorn

      Delete
  10. It is a period which I would never have thought to go backwards, but why not, if you love it !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your article is very captivating,it changed my mind about vikings ! -Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the goal, so I'm happy :D

      Unicorn

      Delete
    2. You seem to be really decide on this subject x)

      Unicorn

      Delete
    3. Yes you have completely changed my opinion about this subject !-Bonnie

      Delete
  12. I've learnd about Vinking's but I didn't like this century. -Clyde

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a good idea ! the vikings period is very interesting you should have make many enquiries on the subject no ?
    -Pompom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mostly check my knowledge to avoid talking nonsens ^.^

      Unicorn

      Delete
  14. I think it's a really interesting article
    I learn a lot about viking and I don't though they are like this

    Nour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they suffer of a really bad reputation :/

      Unicorn

      Delete
  15. Just like Essena said, finally a fine period of time for women !
    -Apote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, pretty unusual x)

      Unicorn

      Delete
  16. I'm happy too for this life without war !

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the Vikings since the animated movies like " Vic le viking " or " Dragon", this is my child's soul emerges !

    Scarlett

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow i didn't know about all this thanks unicorn

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeaaah ! Vikings! they interesting me a lot but I learn a lot about them

    ReplyDelete
  20. I learn many things, I will not imagine a viking in the same way now

    ReplyDelete
  21. Vikings = mead = alcohol = get drunk = happiness = unicorn
    Case closed.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't no why but you make for me thought has Rebel the Disney princess, certainly in your expression ^^
    Lauranouille

    ReplyDelete