Tuesday 9 May 2017

For Bumper Yey's grandchildren...

Here is the story of my life ...

My name is Cim xeeb (Tsyseng), BumperYey, Yang. 

I left Laos when I was 16 or 17 years old, I dont remember. I was with my father, his wife, my little brother and my step-sister. 

We used to be three boys, two girls and we lived with our parents. 
                      

Only because of shamanism and war, I lost my mother Yias Thoj (Ya Thor), my two brothers and my big sister. 

They all died, I have a terrible memory ...

My new family and I then went to a refugee camp in Thailand, we had to cross the jungle without losing each other , confronting formidable insects, fleeing the soldiers ... 

It was a nightmare! A real nightmare. 



During the day, the heat was stifling, while the nights were cold and wet, we tried to escape the communist Laotian army that could  kill us at any moment ... 

My uncle let himself be tortured so he could save our life.

This journey was so horrible that I remember every detail.

Once we arrived at the border of Thailand, we were relieved to have reached it. 



We stayed one year in this camp, during our stay, I met my wife and we got married respecting custom.

As tradition says: "Once the dowry is paid, the woman belongs to her husband." 

From then on, she became Ms Yang Cim xeeb and she had to stay by my side. 

At the end of March 1978, I think , we flew to France, while my own family was leaving for the United States. 

Once on the plane, my wife and I, as well as all the passengers, resembled pure peasants who did not know of modern life, which was true. 

We were completely lost, many people were sick and vomiting on the plane. 

My wife, by then, was four or five months pregnant with my first son. 

The journey was long, I thought we were going to die. 
When we arrived, it was a real shock! 
We knew nothing, we were afraid of everything (people, food, lifestyle ...), we thought we were in another world, everything was so different, I did not know a single word of the French language.

My wife and I were welcomed into a refugee home in the Paris region. 
We were dressed and cared for, then we were scattered in several camps throughout France. 

We were sent to Aubenas in Ardeche where we stayed for six months to learn French, cooking, housework, and French laws. An educator helped the men of each family to find work as a worker.

We decided to convert to Christianity.

We were well received by the people who showed generosity (gifts for our children ...) and they helped us to build our new life in France. 
Two years later, we joined my parents-in-law who were sent to Bourges.

Years later, my wife and I asked for and obtained French nationality, moreover we changed our Hmong first names to French first names.

However, we did not forget where we came from, because with many members of our community we created a Hmong association in Bourges in 1982. 

This association was created with the aim of preserving our customs, passing them on to our children.

And to keep in touch with the Hmongs of France,  we organized traditional New Year celebrations every year where all the Hmongs of France meet in traditional dress to dance, eat and to make their purchases. 

It is also an opportunity for our young people to meet and to forge ties of friendship or even more ...

Although we are in France, the traditional Hmong marriage is not forgotten. 

Hmongs who marry each other are obliged to respect tradition. 

The husband must pay the dowry to his future in-laws to be able to marry his wife. As for the woman, she has to leave her family and "belongs" to her in-laws.

In addition, we have kept our traditional way of life: food, farming, and animal husbandry.

Today, I lead a more peaceful life, I have a beautiful and big family. 
My grandchildren and great grandchildren are beautiful, the mixture of races is magnificent. 

Unlike other people in my community, I accept this because I am open to beautiful girls of different origins. 
For me I always want to keep my Hmong side, but the times have changed and I think I have to change also by discovering a lot. 

Living in France was a complete change for me. 
A better life. 
Look how many you are.

33 comments:

  1. Very long article! Your pictures are really nice.
    Good =)
    - Chamallow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes aha ! Thank you
      -BumperYey

      Delete
  2. so interesting and original article! is it inspired by a real story? yse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and Yes it's the story of my grand ma...
      -BumperYey

      Delete
    2. Yes it is Yse ^^ It's write at the beginning =)
      That's great !
      - Chamallow

      Delete
    3. aha thanks again ! xoxo

      Delete
  3. That was a terrile story with, fortunately, a happy end.
    Is it the story of a member of your family?
    Your article was awesome, see you soon,
    -Pegasus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and yes it is, it's the story of my grand-ma. I just changed the name...

      Delete
  4. Woaw, your story is really touching Bumper Yey... I mean, of course I can really relate to it, I can only imagine what the people in your story have went throught to live in peace. If you are willing to talk about it I'd definitely be interested into talking more about this story^^
    See you !

    -Riggnarok

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *can't really relate

      Sorry, little mistake^^'

      -Riggnarok

      Delete
    2. Yes, it's a very long story ... When my grandparents tell me their story, I finally cry ...

      Delete
    3. I completely understdand, this is such a sad story yet there are some beautiful parts, I'm thinking for example to the communities that were founded and the blending of the cultures that they brought^^

      -Riggnarok

      Delete
  5. I really love your article. Very touching, and very interesting !

    -Harley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your article was very nice and interesting !
    It was a good idea to put this beautiful pictures.

    Minimalist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Minimalist ! and yes of course I wanted to share with you what remains of this time...

      Delete
  7. This is the story of my mother ! It's so good that you speak about her story... it's important to remember, to know her story...
    BumperYey's Aunt xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's really interesting and very touch me because my grand-parents have lived the same story and the same feelings. It's important to know Who we are and don't forget where we come from.

    ( Bumper Yey )
    Linda Xiong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Linda aha ! We are hmong and we are proud. We must remember where we come from! And we must not forget what our ancestors lived through. xoxo

      Delete
  9. Nice article. There are many stories like these with our people struggling to be safe and have a better life. Thank you for sharing this one!

    - Yumie Her from NC, USA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yumie ! Ua tsaug ntau ntau ua pab kuv os. Ua li koj hais, peb yog hmoob peb yuav tsum qhiab rau cov sawv daws paub peb lub daj neeg...(translation : As you say, we must ensure that the next generation knows our history) Thank you for taking the time to come and comment ...

      Delete
  10. It's a long and beautiful story, the pictures are nice too !
    -Reese

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks Roots&culture...
      -BumperYey

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it ! Thank you
      -BumperYey

      Delete
  13. I loooved the story.You did a very good job Bumpayey! I beautiful way of not forgeting where you come from. I have to say that this may be the best article of the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it Spice ! Thank you very much <3 I don't think my article is the best, but thank you very much again..

      Delete
  14. Very original and touching article ! I love it

    Inspector Flower

    ReplyDelete